Safe Church Team
Why was the Safe Church Team formed?
In 1989, the Synod of the Christian Reformed Church convened a committee to study the problem of abuse among the membership of the CRC. The survey results were stunning. Here are a few of the results:
- 28% of adults in the CRC experienced physical, sexual, or emotional abuse
- 15% of adults in the CRC abused another person physically, sexually, or emotionally
- Children between birth and 12 years old are at the greatest risk of abuse
- Persons with a disability are 2-3 times more likely to experience abuse
What does the Safe Church Team do?
- The team conducts an advisory panel to fact-find when allegations of abuse are made against a church leader by an adult.
- The team creates awareness and educates churches on abuse and abuse prevention.
- The team also offers support to people who experienced abuse or abuse of another.
- What is the goal?
- The goal of the Safe Church team is to help each congregation build and sustain healthy interactions between church leaders and those who participate in church programs or worship at the church.
How do I access the Safe Church Team?
- Contact your Elder
For more information on the Safe Church Team, visit: